九龍華仁書院安省舊生會

Wah Yan College Kowloon Alumni Association of Ontario

Welcome to WYKAAO

Contact Us

Timeline WYK

 

YEAR EVENTS
1924 Wah Yan College Kowloon Branch opened by Mr. Tsui Yan-Sau on December 1 at 70 Portland Street with two classes of 24 students
1926 Mr. Lim Hoi-Lan became Principal
1928 Mr. Chow Ching-Lam became Principal
School moved to 8 Nelson Street on April 26 with 800 students
1929 First graduating class with 8 students, among them was The Hon. Mr. Eugene Li Yiu-Bor
1932 Mr. Lim Hoi-Lan’s second term as Principal
1933 Wah Yan College Kowloon Branch operating as an independent grant-in-aid school Wah Yan College, Kowloon  
Investiture of 11th Kowloon Boy Scouts Group
1936 The first Sports Meet held on April 24 at Kowloon Football Club
1941 Senior school opened at 103 Austin Road on September 8, administered under the direction of Fr. Edward Bourke, S.J., Rector of Wah Yan College, Hong Kong & with Fr. Richard Gallagher, S.J. as Prefect of Studies
Both Senior School and Nelson Street campus interrupted during Japanese occupation
1946 School reopened.  School administration transferred to the Society of Jesus, added to the school name “College of the Sacred Heart”
Fr. Patrick Grogan, S.J. appointed the 1st Jesuit School Supervisor and Fr. Patrick Toner, S.J. the Co-respondent while Mr. Lim Hoi-Lan remained as Principal
1949 56 Waterloo Road, with an area of 41,000 square metres, selected as site of new campus
1952 Staff and students of Wah Yan College, Hong Kong PM School and Nelson Street transferred to new campus on September 15
Fr. Patrick Toner, S.J. appointed the 1st Rector
New school officially opened by The Governor of Hong Kong Sir Alexander Grantham on December 12
1953 The first volume of school magazine, The Shield, with 120 pages, published; edited by Fr. L. Egan, S. J. and Mr. Liu Ki-Ming
1955 School Auditorium opened
1957 Fr. Herbert Dargan, S.J. became Rector
1959 St. Ignatius Chapel consecrated by Bishop Lawrence Bianchi
1960 Fr. Anthony Farren, S.J. became Rector
1962 Last Primary 6 class graduated
1964 School newspaper, The Signum, published
1966 Fr. Derek Reid, S.J. became Principal
Student Association founded by Edmund Kwok Siu-Tong
1967 Mr. Anthony Ho became the first lay Assistant Principal
1968 New East Wing opened
Wah Yan College Kowloon Past Students’ Association founded April 24, Bernard Wong Kong-Sum elected Chairman
1978 Fr. Alfred Deignan, S.J. became Principal
1988 Swimming Pool opened
1989 New West Wing, The Law Ting-Bong Building, opened
1991 1st Student Ambassador, Medes Ma King-Cheung, visited western Canada
1992 Fr. Alfred Deignan, S.J. retired as the last Jesuit Principal
Mr. Norman So of the class of 1965 appointed Principal, the 1st layman since 1952
1994 WYK web site set up
1995 Student Computer Team formed
1997 School-provided e-mail service for teachers & students started
1998 Fr. George Zee, S.J. of the class of 1958 became the 1st past student appointed School Supervisor
1999 Parents’ Association founded
2001 Ms. Eva Chau became the first female Assistant Principal
2004 New Annex, The Ricci Building, opened
2005 Mr. Francis Kong passed away after 44 years of service
2009 Dr. John K. Tan became Principal
2013 Dr. John K. Tan resigned.  Mr. Warren Chung Wai-Leung (1979) became Principal as of September
2014

Football pitch reopens with artificial turf

House system established : Loyola (red) House,  Xavier (white)House,  Faber (blue)House,  Ricci (green)House

You are here: Home Timeline WYK Admin Documents Timeline WYK